Monday, April 12, 2010

my quiet heartbreak

Hi Li Jun,
Regarding the rest of that packet of poems etc. that you gave me,
I like the graphs. Regarding the rest, it's frustrating to be honest. So much
good stuff-- wonderful stanzas of suprising language or phrasing or
syntax (or all three) and then clunky passages, misspelled words (except/accept),
clauses with weird shifts of syntax, purely silly stuff. There are flashes of
remarkable talent that I wish I had been able to work with you to highlight,
but we didn't really get the chance. You should hook up with the writers
connected with Double Change in Paris. The often have events at Pointe
Ephemere which is a good place to discover anyway. If down the line of
yr life, you decide to shift courses, I think you would really flourish in an
MFA program in poetry. I hope you'll keep writing in any case.
Yrs, F

:(

3 comments:

  1. paths are mutually exclusive! 1 year on you are still

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont remembering what i was writing above?!?!?!

    anyway just wanted to say that i was re-reading your stuff and i agree! i read girlwredumbrella at this poetry + prose reading gathering i just went randomly and it was really quite powerful, the prof asked me for a copy of it (As did one of my friends) and when they were asking me more about the writer and the context it was terrible but i started crying!! (and i remembered that time you were telling me about how it was annoying when other people were crying at inappropriate junctures oops) but actually, i dont think it was all that inappropriate. the prof at that moment said -- "the power of poetry" and between sobs i was like - "IT WAS PROSE!!!" hahaha then we all laughed, about how random and 'postmodern' poetry had become nowadays such that when you read it out aloud sometimes you really can't tell.

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete